Saturday, December 31, 2016

Ragnar Northwest Passage 2016

This past July I captained a Ragnar Relay team. (The team did all the hard work, I just signed us up and gave us a stupid name.) Twelve of my favorite running family members (and a couple friends who might as well be family) ran approximately 200 miles from the Canadian border to Langley, Whidbey Island through some of the Northwest's most impressive scenery (and a few boring fields).

I was six months pregnant at the time. Along with a challenging 9-mile hike I did with my dearest Adventure Friend, these were my crowning physical achievements of the summer and my pregnancy (apart from actually birthing Little Squish).

Our team was called "Help the Children." This was the design of our team shirt, along with a quote that said, "Let the children RUN to me." It was supposed to be a joke, but from a lot of the reactions I received, very nice Christians took it seriously, and were moved by the sweetness, and non-Christians thought we were weird Christians who made the Ragnar race a Jesus thing.

Here's how the race works:


After our first leg, my van stopped at Shari's for breakfast. It was pure diner food bliss. 
 





Pancakes, scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, AND sausage!!!



Running long distances in the Northwest gives me a deeper appreciation for the variety and beauty of my home.

Thanks, Megan, Andrew, Jared, Mike, Melita, Dad, Uncle Brian, Lois, Lori, Anne Marie, Amy, and Uncle Jeff! We didn't come in last! Go team Help the Children!

No comments:

Post a Comment