Sunday, May 20, 2018

Ode to the Wannabe

Part I

Like so many fallen petals,
As the promise of spring blooms
give way to summer's drought,
So too are the sheets of training calendars
Littering your floor -
Desiccating dreams
That have lost their juicy plumpness.

Your shoes,
Despite their age
Sit pert and fresh,
Two young things
Uncreased,
Still smelling of rubber.
Their soles unchristened
By rain or sweat,
Because you can't get baptized,
If you never go to church.

In the bottom drawer
Full sets of engineered fabrics
And double-bonded seams
Hibernate.
Folded-up anxiety
Poised to wrestle -
To squeeze you with the indignity
Of harboring a costly wardrobe
That no longer fits.

But you ran today.
So maybe everything will change.

Part II

I ran today
So everything is going to change!
I'll probably start running in the morning
Before I go to work
I'll just get up one hour earlier
Which is really not that much
And it will be so worth it
I ran today
So I'm thinking about going vegan too
I looked up all these recipes
And you really don't miss meat
Or Dairy
Or Eggs
After a while
You really don't
Like, I have a leftover milkshake in the freezer
And I don't even want it
Maybe I'll give up sugar too
I ran today
So that means tomorrow I cross-train
Probably twice - in one day
I ran today
And I might have lost a tiny bit of weight
Or maybe it's just my posture
Which is definitely better 
And I already feel so much more energetic
And my mind is clearer
And I think I'm more creative
And work will be less stressful
And I'll probably be a better friend
And finish all the projects I've started
And this really feels like a turning point

And I know I've said that before
But it's different this time
And I know I've said that before
But this time feels different

Part III

The
milkshake
is
gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment